Ovarian cancer starts from the outer lining or epithelium of the ovary. Among many unknown factors, a few that can increase your risk of ovarian cancer include:
- Age: Ovarian cancer can occur at any age but is most common in women over 50 years and the ones who have stopped menstruating.
- Inherited faulty genes: Ovarian cancers are caused by gene mutations called breast cancer gene 1 (BRCA1) and breast cancer gene 2 (BRCA2). These mutated genes also increase the risk of breast cancer among women.
- Family history of cancer: People with family history of ovarian cancer have an increased risk of the disease. Also, the risk is higher in women diagnosed with breast cancer, uterine cancer or bowel cancer at a young age.
- Lifestyle factors: The risk of ovarian cancer is more if you smoke. Infact the longer you have smoked, the greater is the risk. Also, having excess body fat is linked to an increased risk of getting ovarian cancer.
- History of endometriosis: It’s a condition in which tissue from the lining of the uterus grows outside of the uterus.
- Age when menstruation started and ended: If menstruation starts at an early age or if menopause happens at a later age, or both it increase the risk of ovarian cancer.
Am I at risk for getting ovarian cancer?
All women are at a risk of getting ovarian cancer. However, some women have personal or familial factors which further increase their risk. This includes being over 50-55 years, never pregnant, have a previous history or family history of cancer or have taken hormone replacement therapy, etc.
Best treatment for ovarian cancer in India at AOI
While most women diagnosed with ovarian cancer are over 50-55 years, it is found in younger women, too. At American Oncology Institute, the best hospital for ovarian cancer in India, our physicians and cancer care specialists are experts at diagnosing and treating ovarian cancer. We understand being diagnosed with cancer can get overwhelming, but with treatment, there is hope.
Diagnosis of ovarian cancer at the early stage increases the chances for successful treatment. At AOI, we offer patients a multidisciplinary team approach for quality care and well-being.