What are the measures taken for prevention of lung cancer?
There is no definite way for lung cancer prevention but you can reduce your risk if you:
- Don’t smoke: If you never smoked, then don’t start. Speak to your children about not smoking so they can learn how to prevent this major lung cancer risk factor.
- Stop smoking: Stop smoking now. Even if you have smoked for years, quitting reduces the risk of lung cancer. Discuss strategies with your doctor that will help you quit. It is difficult for you to quit then options include nicotine replacement products, medications ad support groups
- Avoid passive smoking: If you stay with a smoker or work with him, advise him or her to quit. Only ask him or her to smoke outside at the very least. Avoid places where people smoke including bars and restaurants and check for smoke-free options
- Test your home for radon: Have your home tested for radon levels particularly if you live in an area where radon is known to be a problem. High levels of radon can be treated to make your home safer
- Avoid carcinogens at work: Take precautions to guard yourself against exposure to hazardous chemicals at work. Consider the steps the employer takes. If you are given a face mask for protection, wear it all the time. Ask your health care professional what more you can do to support yourself at work. Your chance of occupational carcinogenic lung damage increases if you smoke
- Healthy diet: Choose a healthy diet with a variety of fruits and vegetables. Food sources of vitamins and nutrients are best. Avoid taking large doses of vitamins in pill form, as they may be harmful. For instance, researchers hoping to reduce the risk of lung cancer in heavy smokers gave them beta carotene supplements. Results showed the supplements actually increased the risk of cancer in smokers
- Choose a balanced diet that contains a variety of fruits and vegetables especially vitamin and nutrient sources foods. Avoid taking massive doses of vitamins pills since they can be harmful.
- Exercise: If you do not exercise regularly then start out slowly. Try to exercise most days of the week to keep yourself fit